This perfect rice is easy to make and turns out perfect every time! It’s so simple and flavorful, you’ll crave it at least once a week!
Total: 15 min
Prep: 2 mins
Cook: 12 mins
Yield: 4 servings
1 Cup Medium or Long Grain White Rice
2 Cups Boiling Water
1 Tablespoons Oil
1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
1 Clove Finely Chopped Garlic (optional)
Steps to Make It
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil and sweat finely diced garlic (optional) until translucent.
- Add your rice to the pan and stir it until each grain is coated with oil and shiny (this is called “pearling”). If desired, you can toast the rice slightly before moving on to the next step. Many chefs believe that pearling your rice helps the grains to stay separate once they have been cooked.
- Add your cooking liquid. The most commonly used, of course, is water, but you can also use a stock such as vegetable stock or chicken stock for extra flavor. Just keep in mind that if you are cooking white rice, using stock may change its color.
- Add salt to season.
- Bring the liquid to a simmer, turn the heat to low, and cover.
- Cook the rice on the stove top until it is tender and the cooking liquid is absorbed.
- Once the rice is tender, uncover it and fluff it with a fork to allow steam to escape (failure to do this can result in overcooked rice). If you need to keep it warm, replace the cover after most of the steam is gone.