I’m very picky when it comes to my burgers. If they’re not tender, juicy and flavorful, they’re just not worth it. If you’re looking for a juicy, delicious, straight-up hamburger recipe, you can’t go wrong with this one. They are hands down the best burgers I have ever cooked.
For the best burger, go to your butcher’s and ask them to mince 1 pound of chuck steak for you – this cut has a really good balance of fat and flavorsome meat (80/20).
Yields: 4 Servings
Prep Time: 15 Min
Cooking Time: 15 Min
- 1 pound 80/20 lean chuck
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- About 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 hamburger buns (4 in. wide), split
- About 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- About 1/4 cup ketchup
- 4 iceberg lettuce leaves, rinsed and crisped
- 1 firm-ripe tomato, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 thin slices red onion
- Preheat the grill to high heat.
- In a large bowl, mix ground beef, egg, onion, bread crumbs, Worcestershire, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until well blended. Divide mixture into four equal portions and shape each into a patty about 4 inches wide.
- To make your hamburger the perfect shape, we highly recommend using a hamburger press (they are definitely worth the investment). We love that they give you a perfectly even and consistently-shaped burger every time..
- Lay burgers on your oiled barbecue grill over a solid bed of hot coals or over high heat on your gas grill (it’s hot when you can’t hold your hand at grill level more than 2-3 seconds);
- Grill on each side for 2-3 minutes for medium rare, 3-4 for medium (how I like it) and 5-6 for well done. Notes: If you want absolute bacteria safety, you need to cook your burgers to 160° F. This recipe will keep them moist.
- Lay buns, cut side down, on grill and cook until lightly toasted, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Spread mayonnaise and ketchup on bun bottoms. Add lettuce, tomato, burger, onion, and salt and pepper to taste. Set bun tops in place.