8 inch / 9.5 inch Japanese HAP40 Steel Kiritsuke Chef's Knife with Octagonal Wooden Handle - Free Expedited Shipping
HAP-40 is a powder metallurgy High-Speed Tool. It’s a mixture of high Tungsten, molybdenum, Vanadium, and Cobalt, which makes it a very hard/tough steel, some knife expert consider it to be the best Japanese Steel. We heat treat this steel for optimal performance at 65 HRC and you will find this blade will hold its edge an amazingly long time.
HAP40 steel properties
- According to the chemical composition and the HRC of the steel, the HAP 40 Steel has the following features:Edge Retention: with a maximum HRC of 68, the steel offers extremely good edge retention, might be the best edge retention you can find in high-carbon steel.
- Corrosion Resistance: Being a semi Stainless steel with only 4.7% of Chromium, which makes not the best for Corrosion Resistance.
- Wear Resistance: Great Wear resistance due to the Mixture of Chromium, Molybdenum, Tungsten, Cobalt, Vanadium and Carbon.
- Sharpness: The harder the Steel, the harder to sharpen it, HAP40 is hard steel so sharpen it wouldn’t be good.
- Toughness: Oh, boy! HAP40 Is tough steel, but it comes at the cost of corrosion resistance, you can’t have the tree altogether (Hardness, Toughness, Corrosion Resistance).
Material: High Carbon Content Japanese HAP40 Semi Stainless Steel
Handle: Ebony Wood Handle + Copper Ring + Premium Buffalo Horn
Hardness Rockwell C scale: 63-65 HRC Cutting force: (6.0-8.0N) International Standard
Blade Length: 210mm/8inch, 240mm/9.5inch
Blade Thickness: 3mm
Blade Width: 53mm
Characteristic: Anti-corrosion, high quality blade material, durable and super sharp, slicing and filleting, comfortable handle, easy to cut, good-balance, easy to clean Package: Fine Gift Box